Saturday 3 December 2011

the virgin suicides.


I just finished the book and fuck, I loved it. It had this ethereal, hazy feel to it, and most of all, it was thoroughly creepy, but in the best way. Everything about it was amazing, from the writing to the basic, raw plot: five daughters of two strict Christians, thrown into depression when the youngest sister, Cecilia, kills herself at 13. The book goes through the decline of the family, leading into the suicides of the other four sisters - dialhsdhaslkhdla. It was just amazing. I think what made me enjoy it more were the weird looks I got reading this around school - since the title is quite provocative, loads of people came up to me, sometimes curious, other times accusatory, like 'what are you reading!?' Made it all the more enjoyable to read, but the next thing I want is to see the film. It's been promised to me by a friend - the same friend who's now borrowing the book - and we're doing a sort of swap for a bit. Since it's directed by Sofia Coppola I know I'm going to love it, and it'll be deliciously eerie but hauntingly beautiful at the same time. (My two favourite things.)



Besides, anything Kirsten does is flawless.



0 comments:

Post a Comment